November 28, 2011

You want to live life in the fast lane but the guy in front of you won't move!

My daughter once posed this question on her very funny blog after being late for work one morning by a poky driver in front of her. "It's called the Rush Hour... So Rush!"

My sentiments exactly.


And at the risk of angering the world of poky people I have a burning question that has puzzled me all my life


Why do some people get into the passing lane and then decide to poke along at 10 MPH Under the posted speed limit?!!!

And lest you think I am blindly pointing the finger at total strangers, one of the chief offenders in this is my own father !

His rational?


"No one needs to go faster than I'm driving."

What?!!!!!


I've asked him if he thinks he's the "Road Police" and he basically feels that Yes, he has determined the proper speed and will enforce it for other drivers ... for their own good.


Grrrrr!

I on the other hand come down on the side of free will.


So if I'm doing 90 in the passing lane and someone comes up behind me who wants to go a 100, I pull over and let him go by.

It is NOT my business to police the roads.


In other countries it's even considered to height of rudeness if you don't move over to let someone else pass.


So why can't we do it here?

Where do you come down on the side of this argument?


Are you a "fast lane" or "road police" .... And why?

Love to hear from you!

5 comments:

  1. NOT road police. If you want to pass me go ahead. But, my problem lies (and I live in NJ) with those who don't know how to merge. People complain that Pennsy (where I'm from) has short merges. That's because we don't need a lot of space. We know how to merge. Unlike NJ which makes merging an almost contact sport. Everyone has to get ahead.cmr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ric,

    Happy to drop by. Love the swirling vapour background! Hope you continue to enjoy the blogging experience, as much as I do. Visit me (well, my character Becki Green) at www.vegetariandetective.blogspot.com.

    Your Imajin team-mate,

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not the road police - though I do have a bit of a problem with fastlaners who don't give me time to safely move over before getting shirty with me. If I'm doing 90 in an 80 zone and someone comes up behind me doing 100, they can wait until I finish passing the line of cars going 70.

    Nice looking blog, Ric. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I consider it a personal insult if someone tries to pass me, and if necessary, I will go 100 mph to beat them! Mild-mannered and polite as a rule, my sister says I turn into a raging monster in a car. It's true. I even say "ha-ha" as I leave them in my dust. Note: I DO NOT endorse this confession!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, Ha!

    Thanks all for your comments and YES... many polite people turn into Indy 500 drivers (Me!) when we get behind the wheel!!

    ReplyDelete